KidCheck’s Top 10 Security Tips from 2015
At KidCheck, we believe every child deserves a chance to grow up in a safe environment, and every parent deserves peace of mind about the safety of their children. The first step in reaching families is by protecting their kids.
As part of our commitment to safety, throughout the year we share actionable tips on abuse prevention, health management, emergency response, volunteers & staff, and security team development, through social channels, the KidCheck blog, podcasts, safety video series, and eBooks . The goal of sharing this type of information is to prepare those working in organizations focused on children to prevent unfortunate situations from occurring.
As part of the KidCheck family, you have access to a plethora of resources that can assist in creating a safe environment for the children in your care.
Listed below are the top 10 security tips of 2015!
1. Only allow screened teenage volunteers if they are working alongside properly screened adults.
2. ALWAYS background check volunteers and repeat background checks every 12–24 months.
3. Ensure that a child is never alone with one adult. Even if this is inconvenient, it’s imperative!
4. Always use the rule of 2’s (minimum 2 kids & 2 adults) when moving kids or taking them to the restroom.
5. Require open viewing in all areas, at all times, either through windows or doors.
6. Use classrooms in highly visible areas. Don’t put your kids in the back of the building.
7. Safety is a cheap and effective insurance policy. ~Author Unknown
8. NEVER put a minor in charge of minors! There should always be a legal adult present supervising the activity.
9. Safety and security begin with your approach. Collaboration provides the foundational structure for effective procedure.
10. Proactively minimize severe allergic reactions by eliminating snacks with nuts.