Top Must-Have Family Safety Apps
Children go missing too frequently these days. Keeping kids safe is a full time job, and parents and guardians can’t be everywhere all the time. That’s why it’s always good to have some help of the technical kind to track and monitor family safety.
While nothing is 100% full proof, these apps can give you a good start both on and offline. Each app is offered for Android™ and iPhone™ and most are FREE or have a nominal fee. If there are other apps your family uses please share them in the comments section below.
- Life 360 Family Locator Serves millions of families and is the flag ship for keeping everyone in your family updated with their location. Life360 states they “simplify life in the digital world connecting you to those who matter most.” The app offers real-time alerts, the opportunity to create groups, GPS technology, and the ability to track lost or stolen phones.
- Rapid Protect Family Manager Addresses the need of increasing family security by keeping everyone connected. It offers advanced GPS tracking, emergency safety alerts, safety status updates, status check-ins, photos, check-in history, chat and much more.
- Car-Seat.Org (Forums & Features) Provides expert advice, installation help, product data, and shopping tips. Certified technicians and advocates answer your questions on child passenger and vehicle safety issues. The app offers introduction into a strong, active community that helps parents and caregivers increase safety.
- Mamabearapp.com Love the name! Mamabear is called the, “Ultimate Parenting App™”. You can share family news, monitor social media usage, track family member location, and even be alerted when your child is driving faster than a speed you set.
- NSOPW – from the U.S. Department of Justice. Keeps your family protected by letting you know where sex offenders are in your neighborhood. The app utilizes the most up-to-date information from the National Sex Offender Registry.
- FBI Child ID This is a free app from the FBI that provides a place to electronically store photos and vital information about your children. These physical identifiers can be shown to law enforcement or security real time when the incident occurs. There is also an option to easily email the information to local authorities. The app also includes tips on keeping children safe, as well as guidance on what to do in those first few crucial hours after a child goes missing. This is a good one to share with parents, and we encourage you to get the word out with family and friends.
- Emergency Contact Makes available your emergency contact information at a glance. Your information is shown as the wallpaper on your Android or iPhone. This allows anyone, specifically an emergency responder, to find your ICE (In Case of Emergency) info quicker, even if your phone is locked.