5 Benefits of a Children’s Check-In System
Secure children’s check-in is about more than just attendance tracking. At KidCheck, we strive to deliver a comprehensive check-in solution that is full-featured, easy to use, and scalable. You are equipped with tools that strengthen child safety, increase data accessibility, connect you with families, and streamline your check-in/out process.
So why do you need a children’s check-in solution? What are the benefits?
1. Child Safety
Whether you use an electronic solution or other child check-in method, child safety is vital and certain tracking and safety measures are necessary. You must have accurate records of children checking in and out, know who is picking them up, verify they are authorized to do so, and be aware of allergy or medical concerns. Safety is a core component and the foundation upon which KidCheck is built.
- Security Labels – Security features include matching security codes printed on the children’s badges and guardian receipts, unique identical watermark images to match, and important allergy and medical warnings. Additionally, to immediately alert staff, a special icon is printed on a child’s label if an unauthorized guardian is listed on their account.
- Electronic Guardian Receipts – The electronic guardian receipt is available in the KidCheck mobile app. It’s available on any mobile device and contains no personal information regarding the child, so no one can pick up a child who shouldn’t.
- Authorized vs. Unauthorized – Court, restraining, and no-contact orders can sometimes be a part of working with families. The goal is to ensure a child is never released to someone who isn’t authorized to pick them up. By incorporating an “unauthorized guardian” designation on the child’s account and encouraging families to upload photos, you reduce the chances of a child being released to someone they shouldn’t.
A children’s check-in solution also helps reduce risk and liability by providing a layer of protection for kids, staff, and volunteers. Check with your insurance company; some offer reduced rates or credits for using secure children’s check-in.
2. First Impression/Perception
Making a strong first impression will profoundly affect how you develop relationships with new and returning families. From the initial approach, families observe everything from behaviors to consistency in how staff and volunteers follow existing processes and systems. Often the first impression can be a deciding factor in choices, trustworthiness, and peace of mind.
As a children’s ministry director shared, “Children’s check-in is the front door to your organization and has a huge impact on a new family’s decision to return. Directors need to know that people don’t typically return if they’ve had a bad check-in experience. It’s a deal-breaker.”
With secure children’s check-in, you are confirming that creating a safe environment is a top priority, you value their involvement and are willing to invest in the children’s area so it runs more efficiently.
3. Going Mobile
In today’s world, mobile solutions are not only appreciated but expected. Mobile check-in options add flexibility and convenience. No waiting in line, no check-in station required, no intervention needed from your organization. KidCheck offers:
- Express Check-In – Families check-in using their mobile device. Parents can start check-in from home, in their car, or the parking lot; wherever there’s an internet or data connection. Child name badges and guardian receipts are prompted to print when they arrive at the facility.
- Mobile Check-In Station – Add a personal touch, shorten check-in lines and quickly check families in using a mobile device set up as the check-in station, or carried by a volunteer/staff.
- Roster Check-In – Delivers faster, easier check-in and out. Quickly and easily check kids in based on roster lists you create. There’s no need for parents to complete the traditional check-in process.
4. Data Management
A key benefit of using electronic children’s check-in is the accessibility and customization you have with your data. You need quick, easy access to key data to better understand trends, speed up decision-making, and have information for ongoing operational analysis.
A Kids Club director stated, “KidCheck has helped reduce the time needed for making financial decisions. When I need to make a purchasing decision, I can easily pull numbers to show any increase in traffic to support the need. Also, I’ve improved my staffing schedule, saved money, and direct funds to meet other needs. This is something I wouldn’t have been able to do if I didn’t have easy access to the data I need.”
- Reports – KidCheck’s comprehensive reports library includes overall statistics, graphical charts, check-in logs, roster reports, bulk mail capabilities, billing reports, medical and allergy reports, and more.
- Emergency Management – At a touch of a button, electronic check-in systems let you know which children are in your facility and exactly where they are located. In an emergency, you need to know where each and every child is, and ideally their parent’s location. That knowledge allows you to more quickly and effectively enact emergency plans.
- Check-In Surveys – Quickly and easily gather key information and get the answers you need right at check-in. You can create and customize surveys or questionnaires for families to conveniently complete at the start of check-in, saving time and effort.
It’s important to communicate with families consistently and with clarity and purpose. KidCheck makes communication simple and incorporates multiple options right in the system.
- Text Messaging – With individual text messaging, you can quickly let parents know about an issue or if an emergency arises. Guardians can also receive an automatic message that their child is checked in or out. This is especially helpful for youth or to alert a parent when a different authorized guardian drops off or picks up. Parents choose if they’d like to receive a text message or not and for which activity.
- Broadcast Text and Email – These work well for messages that need to be shared or customized for a broader group of parents, volunteers/staff, or both. Broadcast text and email help you quickly get the word out. Perfect for emergencies, updates, change notifications, and classroom or schedule changes. You can filter by campus, template, or location. Plus, you can attach documents, infographics, medical release forms, or whatever is needed.
- Check-In Notes / Announcements – When parents are in the initial check-in process, it’s a great time for parents and staff to share information. Check-in notes provide a visible platform for parents to designate any special instructions they want printed on a child’s name badge for that day. This information is in addition to existing medical and allergy fields. For example, birthday information, feeding schedule, and additional medical or allergy info. Announcements are for staff to share information with parents on the check-in screen, either for all families or specific individuals. This could include anything from details about upcoming events to room changes, a reminder to bring diapers, or simply a follow-up message to welcome a family back if they’re new to the program.
Beyond the myriad of benefits associated with a children’s check-in solution, you also need ongoing support and a partner in child safety. That’s why KidCheck provides complimentary support and training six days a week, including Sunday; quickly and efficiently connecting you with a live person ready to help. In addition, the KidCheck blog and downloadable safety resources are available with valuable child safety suggestions and information.
To learn more, request a free online product demonstration. It’s quick, informative, and a great way to see first-hand the benefits of check-in.